About Me

My photo
Animal lover, music junkie and Twitizen extraordinaire. Love supporting worthy charities and causes however I can.

Followers

Sociofluid

A Day at the Gardens

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mother and I made what will be a semi-annual trek to the USF Botanical Gardens Fall Flower Show yesterday for their Fall Plant Festival. Here's what we found.

I wanted to fill our entire front flower bed with these. They were completely adorable. But, what you can't tell from this zoomed in picture is that this little blossom was only about 1/2 in in size. Needless to say, I can't afford to fill my front bed with them. But, next fall, I'll be prepared.

Here are a couple of other beauties I found. I have a weakness for Orchids but they are so expensive to buy and maintain.


Fragrant Phalaenopsis bellina Species Orchid
This little fella (about 6-7 in" plant) was $35. It was beautiful but I'm just not ready to invest that much in something that I know I'm incapable of keeping alive.


There were also some vendors who were in the Fall/Halloween spirit with their decorations.
Kitty Scarecrow by Lutz Nutz

And the BEST one was Tutti-Fruiti Carmen. I think Carmen was with the Rare Fruit Council.

So, What did we buy you ask? :) I found the purrfect plants for our front entry.
Cat's Whiskers
(of course, did you expect any less from ME?)

And here's Mom, the one who does all the hard work, preparing the roots for planting.

Another find was the Brazilian Red Cloak. The pictures don't do this thing justice but I can assure it, it is a stunning flower and plant.
Awaiting it's new home.
Bonus: the guy pointed out that for the low low price of $20 per plant, Mom was getting quite the bargain. See all the little babies. WHAT?!?

Anyone that knows me knows how I never got the green-thumb gene from my mom. I'm trying to change that but there's a bamboo plant at my office that would beg to differ. :) So anyway, I picked up a couple of plants to join Mr. Bamboo, the Neanthebela Palm and the Pony Tail Palm. Now I just have to get mom to help me plant them.




Wish me luck! Or better yet, wish these little guys luck.

1 comments:

Elise said...

Beautiful Lee. Please send you Mom to my house as soon as she's done there!!